Tuesday, July 26, 2011

U.S. Wealth Gap Increasing Amid Recession

Today at work I ran across an article on cnn.com about the widening gap between rich and poor in the United States.  I am not going to link to it because now, 6 or however many hours later, I am unable to find the article.

Of course the fact that the income gap continues to widen does not surprise me at all.  What I found amusing about the article (though still not surprising I suppose) was the amazement the author expressed that this could be occurring even in the middle of a big recession.

Even in a stagnant economy, there are still going to people who are able to figure out how to milk what they can out of the system.  In fact, since the whole global political-economic structure supports the elite few at the expense of everyone else, many of the wealthiest people in the world are going to be protected from the effects of economic recession before the less well-to-do.

And as long as there are some people making massive profits, there will be masses growing poorer.

No comments:

Post a Comment