Thursday, June 7, 2012

Democracy Doesn't Create Wealth

And... now for part three of the "I Told You So" series.

As I was listening to a report this morning about the continued economic woes (e.g. high unemployment) in Tunisia, despite the new democratically elected government, I was reminded of a post I wrote about dictatorships and democracy, in which I argued that dictatorships are a result of poverty rather than a cause.  I insisted that democracy is nothing more than a discursive tool employed by those who are wealthy enough to erect the requisite physical and ideological infrastructure to sustain its illusion.  And I predicted that supposed democratization in the MENA region would not bring about prosperity, so long as the capitalist system remained in place.

I told you so.

No comments:

Post a Comment